What we are doing
Motion to declare climate emergency approved by Council
On January 28 2020, Manningham Council unanimously approved a motion to declare a climate emergency. This resolution acknowledged that we are in a state of serious climate and environmental change and that urgent climate actions were required.
We have rolled out many initiatives over recent years to reduce climate change and greenhouse gas emissions. These initiatives have included the introduction of:
- energy efficient LED streetlights
- a low emission Electric Vehicle Council fleet
- solar power
- green power purchasing and a wind-powered electricity supply through the Victorian Energy Collaboration (VECO)
Climate mitigation targets adopted by Council
On October 2021, Manningham Council unanimously adopted climate mitigation targets. These targets are:
- net zero greenhouse gas emissions by 2028 for Council operations
- net zero emissions by 2035 for the Manningham community
The climate emergency resolution and the net zero targets empower us to increase and speed up climate action. Community feedback tells us that there is a shared commitment with Council to take this increased action on climate change.
Draft Climate Emergency Action Plan developed
A Climate Emergency Action Plan has been developed, outlining actions to address climate change.
The draft plan outlines easy ways that you can tackle climate change in your neighbourhood, including:
- switching to solar
- learning more by attending a climate education event
- applying for a LEAF grant to preserve your natural values on your property
- managing your waste and recycling
Community feedback on the Draft Climate Emergency Action Plan has now closed.
Find out more.
100 per cent renewable energy at Council buildings and sports facilities
Manningham Council has signed the VECO electricity contract. VECO is an initiative involving 46 Victorian councils, known as the Victorian Energy Collaboration (VECO).
Thanks to the signing of this monumental contract, we will be able to make the following changes:
- End of 2022 - 100 per cent green electricity will be running:
- the Pines Shopping Centre
- Manningham Civic Centre
- MC Square
- Manningham Depot
- End of 2023 - Manningham netball stadiums and Aquarena will transfer to the contract as well.
- 1 January 2025 - all our electricity requirements will be powered by 100 per cent renewable energy. This includes:
- street lights
- EV charging points
All this new renewable energy comes from two wind farms, located in Horsham and Dundonnell.