Knowing if you need a permit is important before you start any work. Below is a guide to help you get familiar with any requirements that may affect your project
When do you need a permit for property and development
Why do you need to get approval at all?
Most changes to property or land need approval of some sort - whether it's removing a tree, constructing multiple dwellings, undertaking works and/or extending a heritage property, displaying signs or constructing new buildings.
All developments follow a vast range federal, state and local government legislations. These legislative instruments are there to guide and benefit our whole community - whether it's due to safety, protecting our environment or history, accessibility, or cohesion and character.
For property and developments, our most important guiding controls include:
What types of projects need a permit?
Here are some common projects that need approval - but do contact us even if your project is not listed here:
- asset protection
- multi-dwelling developments and apartments
- new builds - single dwelling
- buildings and works, including some some internal changes to a building
- demolition/partial demolition and new works to heritage buildings
- outbuildings like sheds, pergolas, decks, verandahs
- removing trees and vegetation
- new land uses such as childcare centres, medical centres etc...
- Septic tanks
- tennis courts and swimming pools and spas
- subdivision of land
- covenant removal/variations
- consent for any works or the like if your land has a Section 173 agreement.
- liquor license for a restaurant/cafe
- tables and chairs and/or signage on the footpath
You have a dream project - where to start
New to building or renovation?
For advice on all things renovation and construction, visit the Victorian Building Authority (VBA).
Every dream project is different with its own needs and challenges. Here are the steps to give you a rough guide on the process, timeframes and costs when starting any project.
Contact us to discuss your project with us to confirm if you need a planning permit
If we confirm that you need a planning permit, start the application
After you apply you can also
Get a building permit before you start construction
We do not issue building permits so you will need to contact a building surveyor to organise a building permit.
You will need the permit to ensure what you're hoping to construct or change is done right and to building code standards.
Apply for any other permits you need before you start works
You may need permits for connecting to infrastructure, protection of public assets and more. Often you will find out which permits you need throughout the process, so it is always best to discuss your plans with us or industry professionals.
Some common permits include: